Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Resin Model Kits Addicts Anonymous


Got another model kit post for ya! I can't quite remember the order of when I did these models but Misato from Evangelion here might have been my 5th one. Even for having done a few prior to this one, the whole painting and putting together resin model kits was still fairly new to me. Back in my high school years, there still wasn't a lot of info I could find on the internet about it so I had to learn on my own and whatever I could figure out from looking through Hobby Fan magazines.



Misato is 1/8 scale. I sanded down the rough parts and used no primer before painting. Yup, learning everything on my own. I usually start with lighter colors first, usually the skin tone. I used an airbrush the get most of the color down and masked off parts I didn't need colored. I then go in and paint the details with a small paint brush. Since my first plastic kit model with Cloud and Aerith, I vowed never to use decals for the eyes. I enjoy and take pride in painting the eyes myself.


The paints I used were Tamiya Acrylic paints. I used a glossy red for her jacket so it would look a little more like leather than the rest of her outfit.


Some detail I started using for this kit was wire for her hair. Yes...I thought about using metal wire for strands for hair before I realized I need it to pin pieces of her together. In the end, I think I only used the metal wire to pin her hands.

All in all, I was happy with the way the kit came out. It was still a learning process for me so stick around and check out future posts of my resin model kit adventures. Eventually I'll get around to posting some model kit tutorials!

Peace.

2 comments:

becky cloonan said...

You should take some pics of all your model kits!!!!! Omg if I had your skill and patience I'd be an addict too XD

as it is, I'm addicted to your model kits <3

Anonymous said...

*applause*

I do miniature painting, so I know good work when I see it.

queek, from the Comics Curmudgeon, via the MyCage page.

PS: love your artwork in MyCage.